Note: On September 6, 2016 I published a companion article to this titled “Proposal for a Fair & Dynamic Market-based Economy”
We The People of the United States have come together with a defined set of six shared values: a more perfect union, justice, domestic tranquility, defense, welfare and liberty. (See Foundational Values: A More Perfect Union).
Our chosen economic system, Capitalism, must serve those values. Does it? Currently, no.
A common understanding of capitalism is that it will do exactly that if the “invisible hand” of the market is operating effectively. Given the assumption that people are created equal, in an effective market-based system, we should expect a natural distribution of wealth. Such as this:
How Are We doing?
Compare that ideal to reality. Here’s our current distribution of wealth:
- Guns Don’t Kill People, Statistics Do
- News Should Look Like News
- Trolling & The Star Spangled Banner
- Trump The Cuban Missile Crisis
- An Open Letter to Conflicted Republicans…
- Hey Millennials…
- The Misinformation Age
- A Word Problem for Alt-Left Voters
- A Trump IRS FOIA Request
- Karmann Ghia
- Judging Hillary: They Who Are Without Sin…
- Proposal for a Fair & Dynamic Market-based Economy
- Holding Nose? Nonsense…
- When Hillary Clinton Wins…
- Hillary Clinton & Racism
- Wikileaks is not Journalism
- A Primer on Capitalism in a World Gone Nuts…
- The Seven Social Sins…
- The Beginning of Life…
- Invisibilia: The Problem with the Solution
- No More War?
- Progressives Make Progress
- The Progressive Coalition: An Invitation
- The Kshama Sawant Problem…
- Fix it.
- Voting as Lesser of Evils…
- We. Will. Will we?
- On Bernie, Hillary, Purity and being in Community with We The People…
- We The People: Persuasion, Not Revolution
- FDR Wasn’t a Socialist